Toratatsu Japanese Tapas Bistro

Monday, September 14, 2009

Toratatsu Japanese Tapas Bistro
Walking down Denman Street one evening during the summer, I noticed a, relatively new, restaurant close to the intersection of Denman and Alberni. The restaurant was small with contemporary design and a lively atmosphere. I've always love Izakaya-type restaurants, and when I looked at their menu, I immediately knew I had to come try the place. Toratatsu Japanese Tapas Bistro is the relocation of Shiru-Bay Chopstick Cafe that was used to be in the Yaletown area. I've always loved Shiru-Bay's tapas, and have missed it much. I finally had the chance to go on Friday, and was overjoyed that they still serve my favorite dishes at the same high quality that I loved so much.

One of the good things about ordering at Toratatsu is that you don't necessarily have to be good at ordering to make sure you get the best dishes. They have a list of their most popular items, and all of them are great. My favorite had to be the Negitoro with Garlic Toast. I love Negitoro to begin with, but I've never imagined it with Garlic Toast until I had it in Shiru-Bay. It was great being able to have this dish again, and Toratatsu does even a better job at it than before.

Many of the tapas are quite innovative, and tasty at the same time. Their Cheese Tofu is definitely a dish I would call "weird but delicious." The dish is of cream mascarpone, mixed with a touch of honey, and served with baguette. It sure does look like tofu, but without the texture that a lot of Western people are not used to. The only thing about this dish is that, at Toratatsu, it's served with some strawberries on top, which overpowers the cheese tofu a little too much. If you eat it without the strawberries, it's much better tasting.

The other dishes that we've ordered that are excellent were Yakiniku Lettuce Wrap, which is like Korean barbecue pork served with a little bit of rice, kimchi, lettuce and korean hot sauce, and Sashimi Salad with a wasabi soy vinaigrette. The Foie Gras terrine with yuzu miso was ok, and the Musashi Roll was average. Of what we remember from Shiru-Bay, their sushi items are only average, so we probably won't be ordering them again next time we go. But otherwise, everything else is great.

Now one thing, which is not their fault, and I blame stupid Safeway for it, is that it's super difficult to find a parking spot in that area. I drove around and around for at least 15 minutes, and was only able to get a spot because we have a Handicapped sign for my father. I really hated Safeway for taking out that parking lot on Robson and Denman when they build the new Public Market thingy a couple years back. But again, that's really not the restaurant, or any restaurant in the area's fault.

Toratatsu Japanese Tapas Bistro
735 Denman St.
Vancouver, B.C.
Tel: 604.685.9399

0 comments:

About This Blog

I love to eat. So, I really want to share my eating experiences with everyone. Fortunately, I live in Vancouver, BC, a city full of wonderful restaurants of different cuisines. Be prepared for some very local advise on where to go for good food, and be prepared that not all of them are going to be fine dining.

Feeds

Follow Me on Twitter

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP