Tenhachi at Shaughnessy Village Hotel

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tenhachi
One thing that's good about working the graveyard shift is that you get the opportunity to eat breakfast even if you're not a morning person. So one day, an hour before I finished my graveyard shift, I began craving for a traditional Japanese breakfast. I Googled it and finally found Tenhachi, located in the Shaughnessy Village Hotel. Seeing that it's only $7.50 for a breakfast combo, I decided to go straight after work. And man, was it awesome.

I've never thought that there's Japanese breakfast in Vancouver, but I guess we have pretty much everything here in Van City. Tenhachi features Japanese Home-Style Cooking, but where it's located can certainly throw you off the first time you go. Shaughnessy Village Hotel is a dumpy little hotel that looks like they should have been renovated 30-40 years ago. With mirror pillars and an old style receptions desk, I was certainly very confused when I first went in. It was also quite difficult to find a parking spot, as the area is mostly residential, most street parking requires a permit, but there are 3 parking spots hidden behind the hotel with a Tenhachi sign there.

There are 5 different Japanese breakfast combos offered, Salted Salmon, Natto (Japanese Fermented Soy Beans), Grated Daikon with Whitebait, Grated Yam, and Cold Tofu. All are served with rice, miso soup, Japanese pickles, and various side dishes, which, I believe, is slightly different every time or during different times of the year. For those who are more conservative eaters or are just not used to traditional Japanese food, other than say sushi and tempura, the safest bet would be to start off with the Salted Salmon combo. Otherwise, the Cold Tofu combo would also be a good choice. The other two, however, are definitely more for the experienced or adventurous eaters.

Breakfast is served everyday from 7 AM - 12 PM, so if you think a full on Japanese breakfast is too big for you in the morning, you can consider trying it for an early lunch or something. The combo is quite filling, and considering it's price, it's just one of the best things. I'll definitely be going back for more. I'll be trying the Cold Tofu combo next.

Tenhachi
1125 W. 12th St. at Shaughnessy Village Hotel
Vancouver, B.C.
Tel: 604.742.0234

0 comments:

About This Blog

I love to eat. So, I really want to share my eating experiences with everyone. Fortunately, I live in Vancouver, BC, a city full of wonderful restaurants of different cuisines. Be prepared for some very local advise on where to go for good food, and be prepared that not all of them are going to be fine dining.

Feeds

Follow Me on Twitter

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP