C Restaurant

Sunday, August 30, 2009

C RestaurantOn my parent's anniversary this year, we decided to give the C Restaurant a try. Not that we've never been there for the many years we've been living in Vancouver, but it was just that we were not "wow-ed" the last time we were there many years ago. But after reading all the praises for the restaurant throughout this year, we'd decided to give it another try, hoping we'd be more impressed this time around. Unfortunately, it was again a disappointment.

C Restaurant proud themselves in purchasing directly from farmers and fishermen, rather than suppliers, for their ingredients. This is definitely evident in their fresh, high quality ingredients for their food. Problem, at least for us, lies in the taste of the dishes. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't taste bad, exactly. It was just that there was nothing special about it. There was nothing that screams C Restaurant at you, nothing that you couldn't replicate elsewhere, nothing that you just have to have again.

We ordered a variety of dishes, the taster Scallop Tataki and Salmon Ribs, the appetizer Lobster Bisque, the main course Smoke Duck Breast and Twice Cooked Sable Fish. But, like I said, nothing special. They were good, but not good enough that any particular dish pops up in my head when I think about the restaurant. Dessert though, was a much better experience. The Dark Chocolate Ganache was very rich and tasty. If I could, I would love to just go there for the dessert itself. The portions were also not too big or too small, considering if you have a three course meal.

The thing that I like about C Restaurant is their taster dishes. They're small, bite-sized, so it's wonderful for those who has smaller appetite. They are a little pricy for their size though, ranging from $8-$11 each. Appetizers are also quite pricy, averaging at around $17, and the main courses are mostly just under $40.

One thing about C Restaurant, though, is that they are right in front of the water, so you get a nice view of the Granville Island. It certainly can be quite romantic dining there, and the service is great. From what I've heard from my friend, the wine selection there is also excellent. They also have valet parking at $7, so it doesn't matter if you're on high heels and didn't want to walk from your parking spot, if you're running late and can't find a parking spot, or if you are just too lazy to walk.

All in all, for C Restaurant, I will, unfortunately, have to disagree with the food critics out there that gave them numerous awards. I really don't think they're that good. They are not bad, but for all the hype and the awards they've received, I can only say: At that price, I've had better.

C Restaurant
2-1600 Howe St.
Vancouver, B.C.
Tel: 604.681.1164

0 comments:

About This Blog

I love to eat. So, I really want to share my eating experiences with everyone. Fortunately, I live in Vancouver, BC, a city full of wonderful restaurants of different cuisines. Be prepared for some very local advise on where to go for good food, and be prepared that not all of them are going to be fine dining.

Feeds

Follow Me on Twitter

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP